Wednesday, June 29, 2016

The Journey Must Never End

I enjoy writing about politics, economics, and history. My writings are a bit short on facts and long on opinions. Opinions are something I am never without. I seldom if ever write about myself. Today that changes. 

Like most folks, as I have gotten older, my life has changed. Most radically, in the past few years. I have thought a lot, recently, about how getting older changes one as a person. Some changes are great. Some are almost non-existant.

I always had hobbies. Many of them, as I always wanted to experience new adventures. When I was six years old, my father took me fishing. He didn't fish and knew nothing about it except that you needed water, a hook, and a worm. In a little pond, near where he worked, I caught my first fish. I loved fishing the rest of my life.

When I was ten, I got a Baby Brownie camera for my birthday. I took a roll of pictures, had them developed, and was amazed. I loved photography the rest of my life.

When I was eleven, I went to an amusement park near our home. My father bought me ten shots on a decrepit .22 rifle at the shooting gallery. I loved shooting the rest of my life. 

Age has caught up to my legs so I can no longer wade streams, police my brass, or wander the world with a camera. Those were big changes for me. 

Over the years, I have played tennis and golf. At age fifty I took up long distance cycling. To brag a little, I did a one hundred mile ride my first year. I can't do those any more either. That doesn't bother me much. Small changes.

My first hobby, even before fishing, was reading. I learned to read early and have never been without a book nearby. Other than my wife, my Kindle is my best friend.

When I couldn't indulge my outdoor hobbies any longer, I started this blog. That is coming up on four years now. One thousand essays having been read in one hundred and eight countries. Yes, I'm proud of it. Unabashedly.

As much as I love my blog and my reading, I decided just over a year ago, that I needed more. So I bought a ukulele, thinking to try to teach myself to play. I now own five of different sizes and types. I will never be a good player. I don't care about that. I have through some effort and an on-line course, managed to learn enough to play a few songs. 

But what this long journey has taught me is to forget about the destination. Take joy in the trip you are on. I do this every day.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Betty. I like to write something that is not always ragging on those pathetic souls that lead us. It gets difficult at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I like finding kindred spirits, who can put into words what I'm thinking. Pray for our country and our world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your writing is something i look forward to reading. Thank you for sharing some of your life experiences! I, too, remember my dad teaching me to fish at Pawley's Island. I remember catching a Blue fish while on the fishing pier with him and my mom. I never rode a bike for 100 miles. Good for you!

    Thanks for your blog. I'm glad that i have discovered it! You take care.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete