Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Power Of Speech

Let me start by saying that I am not a fan of either of our major candidates for President. I think my writings have made that clear. I am physically unable to sit and listen to a complete major speech by either of them. But I do try to listen to a part of each one to get a feel for the tenor and tone.

I listened to part of Hillary's latest speech yesterday and part of Donald's today. They were, as the saying goes, as different as night and day. 

Hillary's speech was obviously thrown together to offset Donald's sudden trip to Mexico. Though they were caught unaware, the speech was typical Hillary. It was harsh, shrill, loud, and grating. It was a patchwork of obfuscation, exaggeration, and innuendo. She, once again, tried to convince us that the past eight years have been glorious and she, doubling down on Obama's policies will make the next eight even gloriouser (comic relief intended). She truly believes we are blind and stupid.

The thing that was missing in Hillary's diatribe was a delineation of any programs, plans, or new ideas. Same old, same old, same old, but more of same old. Lets all get out there and dig this hole we're in a little deeper. That should solve our problems. 

Donald's speech, on the other hand, was well thought out, well written, and reasonably well delivered. If he had been speaking like this from the beginning of his campaign, I feel his "unfavorabilities" would be a whole lot lower. It was still Donald, but he talked of programs, showed an understanding of economics that you would expect from a successful businessman, and reasonable promises. 

Gone, at least in what I heard, were the over the top exaggerations and braggadocio. He sounded much more reasonable and even presidential.

In either case, one speech does not a campaign make. However, I will say that listening to some of these two speeches has raised my hope for the future, if only a little bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment