Saturday, March 16, 2013

CPAC Gives Hope

I have not been watching the CPAC convention. I have listened to, and made, enough political  speeches in my day that I need to hear no more. I have been a candidate, a campaign manager, a blogger, and a columnist. I have the spike marks on my back from where I was stomped into the mud as a candidate.

I left the Republican party to become a Constitutional Conservative. I felt the Republicans  had lost their way. I have seen nothing in recent years to prove me wrong. I have supported the Republican party with my vote. I did that primarily because the alternative was far worse. 

One thing that the Republicans never understood that was the strength of the Democrats was that they worked from the bottom up. The Republicans expected to work from the top down.

Let me explain. The Democrat ward committee meets. They find out a registered Democrat has lost his job and is asking for help. They would then reach out and find a city or state level job for this person and make a lifetime believer.

The Republican ward committee meets. The state senator speaks. He asks for their support and offers nothing. His state committee just went through a similar thing with their national representative.  They ask everything and offer little. If a Republican reaches out for help from a higher level, they get very little help. 

To the Democrats, all politics are local. To the Republicans, all politics are national. If you do not understand that, I suggest you take another look at the process.

I'll admit, that scorpion has been in my shoe for a long time. I needed to get him gone. I hope that I have made my case.

So, back to CPAC. I see a bevy of smart, personable, young politicians coming front and center. They are standing up and making themselves heard. They are educated, smart, and have a presence. They also have a realistic understanding of the issues.

I am an old time pol from an era long past. I have separated myself from today's politics so that I may  do a commentary that is useful and honest. It is time for the old guard to stand back and let the young ones do the job. Share your support. Share your wisdom. Build the base to give the young ones support. Then fade into the background and enjoy your reclining years. Sometimes the old guard has to be reminded that they were once the young turks thirty or forty years ago when they came into office. Now it is someone else's turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment