Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Blog and a Gift

 Nothing is forever. That is a motto that has surfaced in my mind often during my life. Family problems during my teens, "nothing is forever". I hunkered down and survived. A bad boss that had it in for me but couldn't fire me, "nothing is forever". Worked hard. Got promoted. Out of his reach. Through tough times, it keeps one sane without acting the Pollyanna. So, a hard look at what is going on in what is still the greatest nation on Earth and one has to think, "please God, nothing is forever". I see once great organs such as the New York Times and the Washington Post bowing down and carrying the water for their percieved betters. The press is dead, long live the blogosphere. At least there are some of us out here that retain a grip on reality. Not so the main stream media and they should be ashamed.

OK, now for the present. I like to cook. This weekend I made beef barbecue. Those of you from Texas need go no farther. You know how to BBQ beef. The rest of the country, not so much. I live in an apartment so I have to cook in the stove oven. It can be done. One problem is that commercial BBQ sauces are made for pork not beef. This may not be world class but it will be respectable. Good enough to serve to company.

Buy a nice piece of shoulder or chuck roast. 3 to 5 lbs. Rub with a dry rub. Kosher salt, Hungarian paprika, garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, ground celery seed. Let sit 2 hrs. Rub with oil. Wrap in heavy duty foil. Cook at 300 degrees f. for 3 hours. Cut up, add sauce (below) and reheat.

Sauce:
1/2 Sweet onion. Chopped fine
2 Tbsp. butter
Melt butter in sauce pan and saute onions until transparent.

Mix 1 cup of beef broth
       1/2 cup rye whiskey
       1 tsp garlic powder
      
Mix 1/2 cup catsup
        1 tsp fresh ground pepper
        1 tsp Kosher salt

Add catsup mix to onions. Saute until catsup browns slightly.

Add Broth mixture. Simmer until reduced by 1/2

If you can make the sauce the day before and let it sit overnight in the fridge, all the better.

Try it. You'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment